Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Melodic Hardcore

For some time now, I have been listening to various American hardcore bands. What is labeled hardcore today is a mix mostly of metal and hardcore elements. A number of years ago, my fellow blogger Joel predicted that with the rise of bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit breaking into the mainstream, a new revival of metal would take place. Well... he was right and it appears to me that the hardcore scene is where this revival has found its home.

Now the hardcore movement is beginning to splitter off into sub genres such as grindcore (Suicide Silence), (Born Of Osiris, ABACABB), ravecore (Attack Attack!; Asking Alexandria), and other "cores" labeled by some. Frankly, I dislike the use of such terms, however, some fans use them to distinguish the styles that are emerging.

Of the sub genres in the hardcore scene, my personal favorite is what is now known as melodic hardcore. What you find in this style is typically of the metal influence hardcore: blast beats, double bass, breakdown, and growling-like vocals. However, the guitar work and the vocals include more melodies.

In my personal opinion, it appears that this type of hardcore leans heavy on Shai Hulud, which was a paradigm shift in my listening tastes and in my humble opinion, this band paved the way for the type of hardcore that is popular today.

Listed below are my personal favorites:

For The Fallen Dreams -- They put on a great live show if you ever get a chance to see them.



It Prevails -- A band from Oregon with a new album out at the moment. This is from their second album entitled "Capture and Embrace"




Misery Signals -- A band from Wisconsin and this song is probably my favorite hardcore song ever!

No comments: